WaterFire Ignites Rhode Island Radio Show – underwritten by National Grid and supported by Lifetime Medical and Emery’s Catering. Hosted this week by Bronwyn Dannenfelser.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
On this week’s show Bronwyn will be joined by two remarkable women who are doing great philanthropy work in Southern New England. Our first guest is Jennifer Leigh, the director of corporate social responsibility and philanthropy at CVS Health. Jennifer will be sharing details of all of the upcoming activities for CVS Health Charity Classic and the charitable work that goes along with it.
Bronwyn’s next guest is Jen Andruzzi, the executive director of the Joe Andruzzi Foundation. Founded by former New England Patriots offensive guard Joe Andruzzi and his wife Jen in 2008, the Joe Andruzzi Foundation grew out of Joe’s own successful battle with cancer and the couple’s ongoing work with young cancer patients. They are one of the benefactors of the Charity Classic.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Part 1 – CVS Health Charity Classic
Part 2 – Joe Andruzzi Foundation
About the CVS Health Charity Classic
Like the CVS Health Charity Classic, WaterFire Providence is a signature event that brings this great community together. We’re excited to partner with and support the tremendous work of WaterFire while helping to raise awareness of the positive charitable impact the CVS Health Charity Classic has on nonprofits throughout the region. We hope WaterFire attendees will visit us at the Charity Classic tent located in RISD market square from 6-11 pm where we’ll have lots of free giveaways and fun games and interactive activities:
- Giveaways include free tickets to the tournament’s community day on Sunday, June 26, pedometers from Minute Clinic and Kind Snacks bars.
- Charity Partner Boys & Girls Clubs of Woonsocket will also be there helping with the life-size games visitors can play!
CVS Health Charity Classic General (Charitable Impact, Sponsors)
- The 2016 CVS Health Charity Classic is scheduled for June 26-28 at Rhode Island Country Club in Barrington, RI
- The CVS Health Charity Classic is about bringing great golf and great charities together.
- With its strong roots in the community and charitable focus, this tournament is one of the most important and meaningful ways we give back to the communities we serve.
We’re extremely proud that over the last 18 years, we have donated more than $19 million dollars to some great charities that are providing services to countless children and families here in Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts.
Now in it’s 18th year, the CVS Health Charity Classic has the proud distinction of being Rhode Island’s largest charitable sporting event.
The CVS Health Charity Classic is an amazing partnership between our sponsors – Pepsi and Nature’s Bounty – and charity partners. We are so grateful for their continued commitment because the real winners are the children and families served by our charity partners.
As always, we’re excited to feature some of the world’s top golfers and an impressive roster of interactive activities for fans of all ages. We can’t wait to see everyone out there!
CVS Health Charity Classic Field
Once again, fans are in for a real treat as we have some of the biggest names in golf headed to Rhode Island Country Club June 26-28.
- We are so fortunate that the golfers who come to play are committed to the tournament’s charitable focus.
- Our roster is a “who’s who” in the world of golf, with more than half the field ranking among the top 100 golfers in the world. Pairings include:
- Keegan Bradley – Jon Curran
- Tony Finau – Billy Horschel
- Branden Grace – Louis Oosthuizen
- Lexi Thompson – Bryson DeChambeau
- Jason Bohn – Kevin Kisner
- Paula Creamer – Jason Dufner
- Brooke Henderson – Jamie Sadlowski
- Chris Kirk – Steve Stricker
- Billy Andrade – Bill Haas
- Morgan Pressel – Brad Faxon
- The combination of amazing golf and additional fun activities around the tournament make this a unique event!
About the Joe Andruzzi Foundation
In 2007, Joe was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins Burkitt’s lymphoma, ending his football career. Joe is now cancer free, but a new passion grew from his own cancer experience: helping other patients and their families. After witnessing first-hand the stress cancer can cause, Joe and Jen created a foundation to help cancer patients and their families meet life’s day-to-day challenges.
The Joe Andruzzi Foundation is dedicated to providing financial assistance to patients and families, helping them focus on recovery – not bills. It also funds research at Boston Children’s Hospital, building on the Andruzzis’ longstanding commitment to cutting edge pediatric brain cancer research. In 2003, Joe and Jen founded the C.J. Buckley Cancer Research Fund at Children’s in memory of a young friend who suffered a brain tumor. C.J.’s spirit inspired the Andruzzis to support the innovative work of Dr. Mark Kieran, Director of Pediatric Neuro-Oncology at Children’s, whose work centers on the molecular nature of pediatric brain tumors, novel therapies and surgical alternatives, with the aim of making treatment more accessible to all. They also strive to keep families positive through the Foundation’s (Up)Beat cancer initiative, organizing outings and visits with New England’s professional athletes. The Foundation believes laughter is the best medicine, and aims to help families forget cancer now and then – through fun, humor and good times.
Episode 59 – Broadcast: June 16th, 2016 | Featured image: Waterplace Basin with a Gondola Photo by John Nickerson.